Pest Control For Pigeons
Pigeon Control & Proofing: Protec Pest Control Manchester, Stockport and Cheshire.
Your need to know guide to pigeons
There are a number of different pigeon species that can be found in the UK. These include:
- Domestic pigeons, which were once wild rock doves until thousands of years ago when the Egyptians first started keeping them as pets and messenger birds. This practice continues today, with domestic pigeons recognisable by the owner’s band around one of their legs.
- Feral pigeons, which are domestic pigeons that at some time returned to the wild, although they are now very prevalent in urban areas, in particular the town centres of Manchester and Stockport, although they are also widely dispersed throughout other areas of Cheshire. Feral pigeons are notorious scavengers, feeding out of discarded takeaway cartons and other scraps littering town and city streets.
- Wood pigeons, which tend to be found more in parks, gardens and rural parts of Cheshire. They are larger than domestic and feral pigeons. Wood pigeons make a distinctive cooing sound. They feed on seeds, buds, berries, worms and small insects but can be particularly damaging to farmers’ crops.
Domestic pigeons are generally better behaved as they are fed and provided with roosts by their owners, whereas feral pigeons can be a problem in built-up areas, and wood pigeons in the countryside.
When pigeons become a pest
Pigeons can be a pest for the following reasons:
- Mess on pavements and buildings. As well as not being nice to look at, pigeon faeces is particularly corrosive and can damage brickwork.
- Spreaders of disease. Pigeon faeces contains bacteria which can attack the nervous system if a person accidentally touches it and then their mouth or food. Dried faeces can give off airborne bacteria which might be inhaled, carrying the risk of psittacosis infection. The danger is higher in enclosed spaces such as lofts. A dead pigeon in a water tank will contaminate the building’s water supply.
- Damage caused by nesting. Pigeons may make their nests in gutters, potentially blocking drainage channels so that rainwater follows a different course. If they can gain access to loft space, they will make a huge amount of mess, and may damage items of value stored there. Outdoors, they will eat their way through crops and grass seed, posing a problem for gardeners and farmers alike.
- Carriers of other pests. Pigeons are likely to play host to ticks, fleas and mites which feed off their blood but will also happily feed off people and their pets, so pigeons in your loft may soon lead to other types of pest infestation, starting in the nest and then spreading out to other parts of the property.
If you are a home or business owner in Manchester, Stockport or elsewhere in Cheshire, we recommend you contact Protec Pest Control Manchester for the swift removal of pigeons from your property. Protec also provides a comprehensive pigeon-proofing service, as outlined below.
Pest Control Methods for pigeons
Pigeons are not easily controlled using DIY methods, which can work out more costly and time-consuming than getting in a professional pest control firm to do the job for you from the outset. Manchester-based Protec Pest Control are highly experienced in matters of pigeon control, and make use of environmentally friendly methods which are supported by wildlife agencies such as the RSPB.
Unlike certain other pests that Protec deals with, we do not advocate killing pigeons. It is also only a short-term solution, as whatever makes your property an attractive roosting site is likely to appeal to other pigeons just as soon as you’re rid of the current pigeon problem. The service Protec delivers can be categorised as:
- Removal of an existing pigeon problem. Our technicians will relocate birds and nests, whether from the interior of exterior of your affected property, so that they no longer pose an immediate problem.
- Cleansing of areas contaminated by pigeons. We will clean away pigeon droppings, nest materials and dead birds, thoroughly decontaminating the area in the process.
- Pigeon proofing. Once the immediate pigeon problem has been dealt with, Protec can install netting, wire and non-harmful spikes to act as a deterrent that will prevent any other pigeons being able to land on or access ledges, sills and other areas where they normally like to roost.
- Installation of other deterrents, such as motion sensors and electronic devices that provide an audio or visual deterrent when pigeons are close by.
Protec Pest Control Manchester have unmarked vans for client discretion, and we will travel anywhere in Manchester, Stockport or Cheshire to deal with pigeon-related problems, all at a reasonable cost to our clients, whether domestic, residential, business or commercial. Protec’s services are available to hotels, schools, restaurants, shops, offices, factories and other premises across Manchester, Stockport and Cheshire.
Call Protec today on 0161 448 1782 for advice and quotes on pigeon control, or about the range of other pest control services we provide
Pest treatment & control for Pigeons in Manchester, Stockport & Cheshire.
Prior to carrying out treatment against ant, a thorough inspection or survey of the property, site or area should take place to decide on the extent and size of the infestation.
Adjoining areas should also be included in this survey (as pigeons may travel from other areas to feed or drink then return to a harbourage).
PROTEC PEST CONTROL MANCHESTER will treat the pigeon infestation using bait stations in safe locations. Birds are neophobic and may be reluctant to approach DIY bait stations. Our pest control operatives are experienced in identifying and locating runs and places of harbourage, and the placement and use of bait to overcome bait shyness. We also provide tamper-resistant stations, having regard to all the circumstances of the infestation, the premises, the people involved and with minimal disruption to business, where appropriate.
Protec Pest control can arrange to treat your pigeon problem, and offer a 24 hour 7 days week pest control service.
A thorough inspection of infested premises will ascertain the extent of the infestation, since the measures necessary for control will depend on whether the infestation is established and widely distributed throughout the premises, or recently introduced and likely to be more used.
To eradicate the infestation it will be necessary to treat the premises thoroughly with suitable insecticides, including the beds, other furniture and harbourages of infested rooms. A professional pest control organisation such as Protec Pest control who will treat your pigeon problem in a professional manner. Protec pest control cover Manchester, Stockport and cheshire for ant treatment. The detection and thorough treatment of all pigeon hiding places is a job which requires experience in order to completely eradicate the infestation and prevent recurrence.
Many people think they can treat the pest problem themselves, only to find that they make the infestation worse by purchasing household pest control treatments from DIY outlets (B&Q, Homebase, Focus DIY, Taskers, Wickes etc.) with a low dosage of insecticide. This may prove to be an expensive waste of time and money.
Protec Pest Control operatives are specifically trained to identify the causes of infestations and to provide an effective solution to your pest control problem with advice to prevent any infestation recurring.
Protec Commercial pest control Manchester offers a pest control services to hotels, restaurants, schools, offices, shops, factories and other commercial premises in Manchester, Stockport and Cheshire.
Protec Pest Control use unmarked vehicles, to protect your privacy. Protec Pest control covers Greater Manchester, Cheshire & Stockport areas for residential, commercial, business & domestic pest control.